To get started, please see the Genealogy Topic Guide. If you encounter a barrier in your research a Librarian is available to help you with your genealogy research. Fill out this form to schedule an appointment. Regular updates about genealogy will be featured on our home page.
The Genealogy collection comprises of Reference (in library use only) and circulating resources in print, microfiche and electronic databases. Two databases are only available from inside the library: Ancestry.com and American Ancestors.
The Patchogue-Medford Library Genealogy Research Group holds meetings monthly on Saturday mornings. The group is open to the public, and it holds meetings the 4th Saturday of every month except for July and August. Check the calendar for dates and topics.
Print resources are located in the Reference area as well as in the local history room. The Celia M. Hastings Local History Room is open to the public Monday – Wednesday 6-9, Thursday – Friday 2-5, Saturday 9:30 am – 12 PM & 2-5 PM, and Sunday when available. Some sources are available through The Celia M. Hastings Local History Room. Including the Index to Birth, Marriage and Death Announcements in The Long Island Advance. The Long Island Advance, historically known as The Advance and The Patchogue Advance, is a weekly newspaper established in 1871. In its early years, the newspaper covered news for much of Suffolk County.
Microfiche and microfilm can be found in Periodicals Plus Room, and it is available whenever the Library is open. The New York State Vital Records Index are available Monday – Friday from 10-5 and Saturdays from 10-2.
Online databases can be accessed from public computers within the library. Click here to see the genealogy databases that are also available by remote access, and you can click here for the Genealogy Collection Catalog.
Genealogy EventsNo feed items found.
Genealogy Updates from the Patchogue-Medford Library
- Jewish genealogy group to meet Sunday
- PML Genealogy Research Group to meet Saturday
- Swedish research to be topic of webinar
- NYS Genealogical Death Index is updated
- Irish genealogy group to meet this Saturday
- Genealogy TV series to begin tonight
- Google Earth to be topic of free webinar
- Local genealogy groups to meet Saturday
- German genealogy group to meet on Thursday
- Wednesday webinar to focus on iPad, tablets
- Genealogy New Year’s Resolutions for 2015
- Findmypast.com to offer free webinar tomorrow
- Ancestry.com offers free access to Best Collections of 2014
- Genealogy Roadshow premieres on January 13
- AmericanAncestors.org updates website